Sunday, March 7, 2010

Who knew that volunteering at a homeless shelter would be rewarding.
Yesterday was my second time being their and it felt better than the first.
(I was kinda shy the first day)

But i was ready to go the next time i was able, and the fact I was so decisive on what i wanted to achieve this time around was the first! I went in put my stuff down and went to the kitchen.

Three people were already their cooking with big pots.

I asked how long they been coming here the man replied 8 years!
They worked for the local council, 2 women and 1 man.

I helped where i was able and heard that they ordered 8 big jumbo pizzas.
Chips where also being cooked in the oven but made their way to a big pan to be deep fried.
Bake beans were on the menu with some salad leaves.

When it came to serving i got to serve 2 pizzas each, their were 3 types of pizza, pepperoni and ham, veggie, and chicken.

It was fast paced but most of them seemed very grateful to be getting food! The thank you and pleases came out with some.

It was like to some this was pure gold. Happiness to have their tummy's fed.

It was fun and i enjoyed being their! A man in their said loudly " I like big women" As if he did not care what anyone in the place thought about that, and he was ever proud of what he felt strongly about! I remember seeing him before in the past, But i was wearing a scarf than and he probably forgot!

After it was all done, Two people came very late, and i remember a food plate was left over for someone to come, but they never showed up. so I was able to give 1 piece of pizza to a guy, thinking in case the other did show up they would still have one piece with loads of chips. but another man came and i gave him the last plate, i figured that other wasn't going to turn up. and i believe they did not either.

Than an Irish woman came in, I met her the first time i was their, She is nice and been coming to the centre for a while, We seem to "click" she seems to understand a lot of things that i do, That looking inside someone and not going by their appearance etc.

She is the second person in 3 years out of tons of people i met, that is actually being sincere in what she says and is being 100 percent herself and reflecting bits of who i am as a person!

It was nice yesterday and i pray that i can do more for this place in future, i have ideas about it so we shall see. But I definitely feel at home their, This is where God wants me for now and this is where i will stay till he moves me on, (if he ever does) but for now i am learning more about myself than i thought possible, and its bringing out my strengths and my compassion and my love for myself and all of creation! it makes me what to expand this love to other areas, to other places, to other people that need my help, my love, or my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The perfectly imperfect mug

So today I decided to go into a thrift store to see what I could find, Firstly I was looking for something I could sell, Then I came across ...